Wednesday, March 19, 2014

How to photograph your artwork

How To Photograph Your Work is a document produced by the Royal Academy of Arts as advice to artists submitting work for the digital entry to this year's Summer Exhibition.

It's the best summary I know of what to do to get a good result when photographing artwork.  Apart from the fact that they omit to say what to do with paper that comes out looking grey (which actually means the work was not well lit).

I ran off a copy last night as a reminder to myself as I need to do some photography of artwork which is too big to scan.

P.S. All artists whose work has passed the first round of selection for the Summer Exhibition 2014 and will now be judged in person should have been notified of where and when to take their work in an email on 17 March 2014.

P.P.S. You might be interested in my past blog posts re. how to stop paper looking grey

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for sharing this. It is always so difficult. I hope this will help. I downloaded it for later use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good concise explanation but they skimmed over color/white balance in "Getting the colour right".
    Accurate color is of course important to the artist.

    The closer you get to the original art when photographing the fewer adjustments you will have to make in editing program later.
    Understanding the white balance setting is key.

    I am not a photography expert so here one of the sources I use which explains it in plain simple terms for us non-photographers, without all the tech jargon.

    There are plenty of other tips on this site too.

    http://digital-photography-school.com/introduction-to-white-balance

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.