Monday, September 17, 2007

16th September: (Part 2) Who's made a mark this week

Celia Thaxter's Garden, Isle of Shoals, Maine 1890
Childe Hassam (1850 - 1935)

Metropolitan Museum of Art

I'm posting the second half of the weekly round-up very late today because I'm extremely tired - and you'll see why in tomorrow's post!

Gardens in Art
  • Isn't that a gorgous view? I had to include it as a nod in the direction of the Gardens in Art project and because I came across it completely accidentally - which is, of course, one of the total joys of surfing the Internet. I do like Childe Hassam's work - I think I need to find out more about him.
  • If you had a garden like that to be paint would you be blissfully happy or be getting more and more work up about how tackle it?
Art education
  • Looks like everybody had a blast at Carol Marine's workshop in Santa Fe (Carol Marine's Painting a Day - see posts between 11-17th September). What a lovely time of year to be there. Good to hear that the still life subjects were all acquired from the local farmer's market - and even better to see the very impressive paintings produced by her students. I loved the idea of a competition to produce the best neutral gray!
Art Exhibitions and Art Fairs
  • I've only just discovered The Art Newspaper's Exhibitions Guide to exhibitions all over the world. You can drill down by country or category of art. It provides information about upcoming exhibitions - before they've hit gallery websites. It's a neat way of planning any trips you might be thinking of.
  • I'm getting very excited as one of the exhibitions it is highlighting under Modern Art (1800 - 1950) is an exhibition about Stanley Spencer at Tate Liverpool from 15 January to 27 April 2008 (not as yet on the website!). I love his silverpoint drawings and hope that it will include some.
  • Art Forum's Art Guide provides a way of seeing what is happening where anywhere in the world - from Art fairs (like Frieze) to Special Events like the Venice Biennale. Note all the art fairs coming up in London in the next month! It's also interesting to note whichwere the most visited sites in the last week.
Art History
  • michelangelo - a website interestingly designed by web-designers called michelangelo.com!
  • decameron web - go take a look at what a project by bunch of students can start amnd grow into!
Art Supplies
Websites and Blogs
  • Some time ago there was a very nasty incident when a well-known female blogger was threatened and stalked online via her blog - and consequently a chap called Tim O'Reilly called for a Blooger's Code of Conduct. Wikipedia provides a neat summary of this - see below:

O'Reilly and others came up with a list of seven proposed ideas:

  1. Take responsibility not just for your own words, but for the comments you allow on your blog.
  2. Label your tolerance level for abusive comments.
  3. Consider eliminating anonymous comments.
  4. Ignore the trolls.
  5. Take the conversation offline, and talk directly, or find an intermediary who can do so.
  6. If you know someone who is behaving badly, tell them so.
  7. Don't say anything online that you wouldn't say in person.
Wikipedia - Blogger's Code of Conduct
  • Technorati announced that they introduced topics this week. I had a look and I'm not impressed so far. Maybe you might think differently?
  • Feedblitz has started to include advertising links in its e-mails of feeds from this blog for people who subscribe using Feedblitz. Personally I'm not in favour of advertisements being introduced after the event - I think that's a pretty poor way of doing business. I'm particularly not in favour of advertisements which have absolutely no connection with nor are linked in any way to the topics discussed on this blog. If this had been the situation from the beginning I don't think I'd have included a link to Feedblitz. What I've now done as a result of the change is I've removed the prompt for e-mail subscription to Feedblitz. People who are happy to stick with Feedblitz will still get e-mails from this company - but if you fancy taking a look at the Feedburner version to see which you prefer the subscription link is near the top of the right hand column.
  • I really like the Feedburner service. They offer subscriptions using either e-mail or feedreaders.
    • It also means I've got just one subscriber count in the right hand column.
    • I'm also now using their feed in my blogger feed settings
    • Blogowners: have you checked out the upgraded statistics services on Feedburner - they now make available stats that previously you could only get through the premium service.
  • Thanks to Kirsty Hall for the next two links - which are part of her Getting Started with Blogging post.
    • Biz Stone works at Google on Blogger and wrote this section of Blogger Help about promoting your blog - it's much improved from when I started. I wonder if they've been overhauling other bits of the Help module?
    • Wikipedia on the Blog. I hadn't read this in ages and there's quite a lot of new stuff.
....and finally -
Art where least expected

I guess most people will have seen these before - but I find that it's interesting to click the link and see what they've come up with since the last visit. Also - if any of you copy the link and show it to others could you please also try and keep the person's name with it. I've lost count of the number of times I see some of this art on other sites but without any proper attribution. Be nice people, give the chaps the credit they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.